Saturday, April 12, 2008

When was the last time that Yahoo did something that mattered

Earlier this week I mocked Flickr Video as I simply don't buy the idea of anyone needing yet another video-sharing platform. And apparently I'm not the only one because there are already two prominent Flickr groups: one called "We Say NO to Videos on Flickr" (26.000+ members) and "NO VIDEO ON FLICKR!!!" (11.000+ members).

I had also mentioned that it's definitely yet another sign of Yahoo trying to catch up with Google (and thereby increasing the price that Microsoft or whoever is going to pay for the inevitable take-over). Continuing this line of thought I started asking myself whether I had used any Yahoo services apart from Flickr in the recent past. The answer is no. So I took it a step further and looked back at 2006-2007 and the interesting things that happened there when it comes to ICT. Again, Yahoo didn't come up except for me signing up for a Flickr Pro account last year.

What am I trying to say? Frankly speaking I'm not quite sure. However I do have to admit that Yahoo these days reminds me of a dark version of Schrödinger's Cat. Nobody is quite sure what's inside the box but the longer we wait to look inside the bigger the chance that the cat has died from natural causes.

No comments: