Saturday, July 26, 2008

6 hours stuck in JFK. Thanks to Delta Air Lines.

And the rant continues...

As predicted yesterday I missed my connection from JFK to Boston. When I arrived here this morning after a really crappy flight I learned that all morning flights to Boston were booked out so I've only got a confirmed seat for 12:55 p.m. - 6 hours after I was originally supposed to leave JFK!

Of course I got a stand-by ticket for the flight at 8:25 a.m., but that one was full. Now I'm on another stand-by ticket for 9:55 a.m. but I'd say my chances are slimmer than slim. Not even sure whether I should bother with the subsequent stand-bys, I might as well just grab two hours of sleep and be done with it.

Anyway, since one is supposed to take away something from each experience here are my lessons learned for the future:
  • Don't fly Delta Air Lines. Never.
  • Book non-stop flights even if it costs a little more. Always.
  • Skip the plane and take the train. Whenever possible.
By the way, thanks to the awesome T-Mobile hotspot here it has only taken me about 20 minutes and 8 tries to get connected. Yeah!

P.S. Is 9:30 a.m. (EST) too early to drink beer? I mean, it's a Saturday after all and it's almost 4 p.m. in Austria, right?

3 comments:

Wolfgang Nagele said...

Don't Ever Leave The Airport

ChristophD said...

Haha, nice one! :-)

Luckily I ended up getting a seat on the 9:55 flight so now I'm finally here at OLPC HQ in Boston.

Wayan said...

Direct flights are a must. Every connection introduces multiple possible failure points.

Oh yeah, and never fly Delta.